May 6th, 2023 11:12 AM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell jackknife is an effective core exercise that targets the rectus abdominis and the hip flexors. This exercise involves lifting the legs and torso off the ground while holding a dumbbell with your hands. It is a challenging exercise that can help to strengthen your core and improve your overall stability.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-cow stretch
- Standing hamstring stretch
Warm-up to do prior to exercise:
- Jumping jacks
- High knees
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that is challenging but allows you to maintain proper form throughout the exercise.
- Lie flat on your back with your arms extended above your head and a dumbbell in your hands.
- Simultaneously lift your legs and torso off the ground, bringing your arms and the dumbbell towards your feet.
- Hold the peak position for a second, then slowly lower your legs and torso back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make this exercise easier, you can perform it without the dumbbell or reduce the range of motion by not lifting your legs and torso as high.
How to increase the difficulty: To make this exercise more challenging, you can increase the weight of the dumbbell or perform the exercise on an unstable surface, such as a stability ball.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 18-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Hip