Cross body jacknife
May 6th, 2023 11:15 AM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell cross body jackknife is a challenging exercise that targets the abdominal muscles, particularly the rectus abdominis. This exercise is performed by lying on your back with your legs straight and holding a dumbbell with both hands above your head. You then raise your upper body and bring the dumbbell across your body towards your opposite knee while simultaneously lifting your legs off the ground.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-cow stretch
- Seated forward fold
- Cobra stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio (e.g. jogging, jumping jacks, etc.)
- Dynamic stretches (e.g. leg swings, arm circles, etc.)
How to select the proper weight: Choose a dumbbell that is challenging but still allows you to maintain proper form. Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase as you get stronger.
- Lie on your back with your legs straight and hold a dumbbell with both hands above your head.
- Lift your upper body and bring the dumbbell across your body towards your opposite knee.
- At the same time, lift your legs off the ground and bring them towards your upper body.
- Slowly lower your upper body and legs back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform the exercise without a dumbbell
- Perform the exercise without lifting your legs off the ground
- Perform the exercise with bent knees
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbell
- Perform the exercise with straighter legs
- Perform the exercise at a slower pace
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 20-25 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Hip, Side Abs