May 2nd, 2023 6:34 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
Dumbbell Skaters is a cardio exercise that helps to increase endurance, agility, and balance. It mimics the lateral movement of a speed skater, and incorporates dumbbells for added resistance.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Leg swings
- Quad stretch
- Hamstring stretch
- Calf stretch
- Arm circles
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jumping jacks or jogging in place.
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that you can comfortably hold in each hand while performing the skater movement.
- Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and holding a dumbbell in each hand by your sides.
- Take a big step to the right with your right foot, bending your right knee and crossing your left leg behind your right leg.
- As you step to the right, swing both dumbbells across your body towards your right hip.
- Quickly reverse the movement by stepping to the left with your left foot, crossing your right leg behind your left leg, and swinging the dumbbells across your body towards your left hip.
- Repeat the movement, alternating sides with each rep.
How to reduce difficulty:
- Perform the movement without dumbbells.
- Slow down the movement.
- Take smaller steps.
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbells.
- Increase the speed of the movement.
- Jump from side to side instead of stepping.
Number of reps: Beginner: 10-12 reps per side Intermediate: 12-15 reps per side Advanced: 15-20 reps per side
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps
Secondary:Hamstrings, Gluteus Maximus