May 2nd, 2023 6:31 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell crawl is a full-body exercise that mimics the crawling motion of a baby. It involves crawling forward and backward while holding a pair of dumbbells in a bear crawl position.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Wrist stretch: hold your arm out straight in front of you, palm facing down, and use your other hand to gently pull your fingers down and back towards your forearm.
- Cat-cow stretch: start on your hands and knees, then alternate between rounding your spine up towards the ceiling and arching your back down towards the ground.
- Hip flexor stretch: kneel on one knee with your opposite foot in front of you, and then push your hips forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your hip.
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- Jog in place for 2-3 minutes to get your heart rate up.
- Do a set of 10 bodyweight squats to warm up your lower body.
- Do a set of 10 push-ups to warm up your upper body.
How to select the proper weight: Start with a light weight, such as 5 or 10 pounds, and increase the weight as needed based on your fitness level and strength.
- Begin on all fours with a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing down.
- Lift your knees off the ground and walk forward with your hands and feet, keeping your back flat and your core engaged.
- Take small steps forward, alternating your left hand with your right foot and your right hand with your left foot.
- Continue moving forward for a set distance or number of steps, then reverse the movement and crawl backwards.
- Keep your hips low and your core engaged throughout the exercise.
- Do not let your lower back sag or your hips rise too high.
How to reduce difficulty: To reduce difficulty, use lighter weights or perform the exercise without weights.
How to increase difficulty: To increase difficulty, use heavier weights or crawl for a longer distance.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 1 set of 10-12 steps forward and backward.
- Intermediate: 2-3 sets of 10-12 steps forward and backward.
- Advanced: 3-4 sets of 10-12 steps forward and backward.
Estimated time for exercise: 1-3 sets of the dumbbell crawl takes approximately 5-15 minutes.
Muscle Group(s):Biceps, Forearms, Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps, Shoulders, Triceps
Primary:Deltoids, Biceps Brachii, Triceps Brachii, Quadriceps, Hamstrings
Secondary:Rectus Abdominis, Gluteus Maximus