May 11th, 2023 5:19 PM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
The proud pigeon stretch is a yoga pose that targets the hip flexors, glutes, and outer hips.
- Begin in a tabletop position, with your wrists stacked under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Bring your right knee forward, placing it behind your right wrist. Your right ankle should be in front of your left hip.
- Stretch your left leg behind you, keeping your toes pointed and the top of your foot on the ground.
- Slowly lower your body toward the ground, keeping your hips square and level.
- Walk your hands forward and lower your forearms to the ground.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, then slowly lift your body up and release.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Place a pillow or block under your hips for extra support.
- Keep your hands on the ground instead of lowering your forearms.
How to increase the difficulty:
- Lift your chest up and arch your back.
- Hold the stretch for 1-2 minutes instead of 30 seconds.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds on each side, for 1-2 sets.
Estimated time for exercise:
- 1 minute total.
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Hip, Lower back
Primary:Hip External Rotators
Secondary:Gluteus Maximus, Gluteus Medius, Piriformis