May 12th, 2023 8:33 AM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
The prone twist stretch is a yoga pose that targets the muscles in the back, hips, and spine.
- Start by lying face down on a mat or the floor with your arms extended out to the sides in a T position.
- Slowly lift your left leg off the ground and bring your knee up towards your left hand.
- Keep your right leg straight and press your right hip into the floor.
- Inhale and lift your right arm towards the ceiling, keeping it in line with your shoulder.
- Exhale and rotate your torso to the left, bringing your left leg across your body to meet your right hand.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds, then release and repeat on the other side.
How to reduce difficulty: To reduce the difficulty of this stretch, you can keep your lifted leg lower to the ground and use your hand to support it. You can also rotate your torso less and keep your arm down.
How to increase difficulty: To increase the difficulty of this stretch, you can hold the stretch for a longer period of time and go deeper into the twist. You can also lift your leg higher off the ground and extend your arm further overhead.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 2 sets of 5 reps on each side
- Intermediate: 3 sets of 10 reps on each side
- Advanced: 4 sets of 15 reps on each side
Estimated time for exercise: 1-2 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Lower back
Secondary:Gluteus Maximus, Gluteus Medius