May 10th, 2023 9:23 AM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
The piriformis hip stretch is an exercise that helps to stretch the piriformis muscle, which is located in the buttock area and can sometimes cause sciatic nerve pain.
- Begin by laying on the floor with both legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot on the ground on the outside of your left knee.
- Place your left elbow on the outside of your right knee and use it to gently pull your right knee towards your left shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for 15-30 seconds, feeling a stretch in your right buttock area.
- Release the stretch and switch sides, repeating for the left leg.
How to reduce difficulty: If you find the stretch difficult, you can try using a cushion or folded towel under your hips to elevate them slightly.
How to increase difficulty: To increase the intensity of the stretch, you can try pulling your knee closer to your shoulder or holding the stretch for a longer period of time.
Number of reps: Beginner: 2 sets of 15-30 second holds per leg Intermediate: 3 sets of 20-30 second holds per leg Advanced: 4 sets of 30-45 second holds per leg
Estimated time for exercise: 2-3 minutes