May 11th, 2023 4:18 PM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
Lunge Stretch for hip flexors, quadriceps, and hamstrings:
- Begin by standing straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a step forward with your right leg, lowering your hips and bending your right knee to form a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your left leg extended behind you with the knee resting on the floor.
- Keeping your back straight, gently push your hips forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your left hip and thigh.
- Hold this position for 15-30 seconds.
- Then, switch sides and repeat the movement with your left leg forward and right leg back.
- Repeat the movement for 3-4 sets on each side.
To reduce the difficulty, you can use a yoga block or pillow under your back knee for support or lessen the depth of the lunge.
To increase the difficulty, you can hold the stretch for longer periods of time or add an overhead reach by raising your arms above your head.
- Beginner: 3-4 sets, holding each stretch for 15-30 seconds on each side
- Intermediate: 4-5 sets, holding each stretch for 30-45 seconds on each side
- Advanced: 5-6 sets, holding each stretch for 45-60 seconds on each side
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps
Secondary:Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves