May 6th, 2023 11:51 AM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell windshield wiper is an advanced core exercise that targets the abdominals and obliques.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-cow stretch
- Seated forward bend
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio such as jogging in place or jumping jacks
- Dynamic stretches like leg swings and arm circles
How to select the proper weight: Select a weight that challenges you but allows you to perform the exercise with proper form. Start with a light weight and gradually increase the weight as you become stronger.
- Lie flat on your back with your arms extended out to the sides, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Raise your legs up towards the ceiling so that they are perpendicular to the ground.
- Keeping your legs straight and together, slowly lower them to one side, as close to the floor as possible without touching it.
- Engage your core to lift your legs back up to the starting position.
- Lower your legs to the opposite side and repeat the movement.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make the exercise easier, bend your knees or perform the exercise without weights.
How to increase difficulty: To make the exercise more challenging, increase the weight of the dumbbells or perform the exercise on an unstable surface like a stability ball.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps
- Intermediate: 10-12 reps
- Advanced: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 1 set of 8-15 reps should take approximately 2-3 minutes.
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Side Abs