May 5th, 2023 4:27 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell swing is a dynamic full-body exercise that involves swinging a dumbbell between the legs and then using the momentum to raise it to shoulder height.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Glute stretch
- Hamstring stretch
- Shoulder stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio (e.g. jogging, jumping jacks)
- Arm circles
- Hip circles
- Leg swings
How to select the proper weight: Start with a light weight and gradually increase as you become more comfortable with the movement. The weight should allow you to complete the exercise with proper form.
- Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and holding the dumbbell with both hands between your legs.
- Hinge at the hips and swing the dumbbell back between your legs.
- Use the momentum to swing the dumbbell forward and upward, driving your hips forward.
- As the dumbbell reaches shoulder height, pull it back down between your legs and repeat.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Use a lighter weight
- Reduce the range of motion
How to increase the difficulty:
- Use a heavier weight
- Increase the range of motion
- Add a jump at the end of the swing
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-10 reps Intermediate: 12-15 reps Advanced: 20-25 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Biceps, Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps, Shoulders, Upper back
Primary:Deltoids, Latissimus Dorsi, Glutes, Rectus Abdominis