Bulgarian split squat
May 5th, 2023 4:24 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell Bulgarian split squat is a lower body exercise that targets the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. It is performed by placing one foot on an elevated platform behind you while holding a dumbbell in each hand and performing a squat on the front leg.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Hip flexor stretch
- Hamstring stretch
- Quad stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio (e.g. jogging, cycling, jumping jacks)
- Bodyweight squats
How to select the proper weight: Start with a light weight and gradually increase until you find a weight that challenges you but allows you to maintain proper form.
- Stand in front of a bench or step with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Place the top of one foot on the bench behind you with your toes pointing down.
- Keeping your torso upright and your abs engaged, lower your body down until your front thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Press through your front heel to return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions before switching sides.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make this exercise easier, you can perform it without weights or with a lighter weight. You can also use a lower bench or step for your back foot.
How to increase the difficulty: To make this exercise more challenging, you can use heavier weights, increase the height of the bench or step for your back foot, or add a jump at the top of the movement.
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-12 reps per leg Intermediate: 12-15 reps per leg Advanced: 15-20 reps per leg
Estimated time for exercise: 15-20 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Calves, Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps