May 5th, 2023 4:48 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell sit up press is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups in the body. It involves a combination of a sit-up and an overhead press using dumbbells.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Lower back stretch
- Shoulder stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio
- Bodyweight squats
- Arm circles
- Cat-cow stretch
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that you can comfortably lift overhead while performing a sit-up. Start with lighter weights and increase gradually as you get stronger and more comfortable with the exercise.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with your arms extended straight up towards the ceiling.
- Perform a sit-up by raising your torso off the floor and bringing your knees towards your chest.
- As you sit up, press the dumbbells up and overhead, extending your arms fully.
- Lower the dumbbells back to the starting position as you lower your torso back to the floor.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make the exercise easier, you can perform the sit-up without the dumbbell press. Alternatively, you can use lighter weights or perform the exercise with a partner who can assist you in lifting the dumbbells.
How to increase difficulty: To make the exercise more challenging, you can use heavier weights, perform the exercise on an incline bench, or add a twist at the top of the movement to engage your obliques.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-12 reps
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 15-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Shoulders, Side Abs
Primary:Rectus Abdominis, Deltoids