May 5th, 2023 4:51 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell focus curl (AKA: concentration curl) is an isolation exercise that targets the biceps muscle.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Arm circles
- Wrist flexor stretch
- Shoulder stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or cycling
- Dynamic stretching for the upper body, such as arm swings and shoulder rolls
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that allows you to perform 8-12 reps with proper form.
- Sit on a bench with your feet flat on the floor, and hold a dumbbell in one hand.
- Rest the elbow of the arm holding the weight against the inner part of your thigh.
- With your palm facing up, curl the weight up towards your shoulder while keeping your upper arm stationary.
- Squeeze your biceps at the top of the movement.
- Lower the weight slowly and with control.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps before switching to the other arm.
How to reduce the difficulty: Perform the exercise with a lighter weight or use a resistance band.
How to increase difficulty: Increase the weight or perform the exercise with a slower tempo.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps
- Intermediate: 10-12 reps
- Advanced: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: This exercise can be completed in about 10 minutes.
Muscle Group(s):Biceps, Forearms