May 4th, 2023 7:15 AM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell Russian twist is a core exercise that targets the rectus abdominis, obliques, and lower back muscles.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-cow stretch
- Seated spinal twist
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of cardio (e.g. jogging, cycling)
- 2 sets of 10-15 reps of bodyweight squats or lunges
- 2 sets of 10-15 reps of push-ups or bench dips
How to select the proper weight: Start with a light weight, such as 5-10 pounds, and increase gradually as you become stronger and more comfortable with the exercise.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the ground, and hold a dumbbell with both hands at chest height.
- Lean back slightly and engage your core.
- Lift your feet off the ground, and balance on your glutes.
- Twist your torso to one side, bringing the dumbbell to the outside of your hip.
- Twist your torso to the other side, bringing the dumbbell to the outside of your other hip.
- Keep your feet off the ground throughout the exercise and continue twisting from side to side.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform the exercise with bodyweight only
- Keep your feet on the ground
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbell
- Lift your feet higher off the ground
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
- Intermediate: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 4 sets of 15-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Side Abs
Primary:Internal Oblique, External Oblique