May 2nd, 2023 8:52 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
Dumbbell thrusters are a compound exercise that involves the entire body. It combines a front squat with an overhead press, making it a great full-body exercise for building strength and burning calories.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Wrist stretch
- Shoulder stretch
- Quad stretch
- Hip stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio (such as jogging or jumping jacks)
- Squat jumps
- Shoulder circles
How to select the proper weight:
Choose a weight that you can comfortably perform a front squat and overhead press with.
- Start with your feet shoulder-width apart and the dumbbells resting on your shoulders.
- Lower into a squat, keeping your chest up and your weight in your heels.
- As you stand up, press the dumbbells overhead until your arms are fully extended.
- Lower the dumbbells back to your shoulders and repeat.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Use lighter weights
- Perform the exercise without weights
How to increase difficulty:
- Use heavier weights
- Increase the number of reps or sets
- Increase the speed of the exercise
Number of reps:
Beginner: 8-10 reps for 2-3 sets
Intermediate: 10-12 reps for 3-4 sets
Advanced: 12-15 reps for 4-5 sets
Estimated time for exercise: 15-20 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps, Shoulders
Secondary:Hamstrings, Glutes, Rectus Abdominis