May 6th, 2023 12:05 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell push press is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscles in the upper body. It involves pressing a pair of dumbbells overhead with the help of a slight leg drive.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Shoulder stretch
- Tricep stretch
Warm-up to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio such as walking, jogging, or cycling
- Bodyweight exercises such as push-ups or air squats to warm up the muscles
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form and technique. Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you become more comfortable with the movement.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold a pair of dumbbells at shoulder height, palms facing forward.
- Slightly bend the knees and dip down, then quickly drive up through the legs and use the momentum to press the dumbbells overhead.
- Fully extend the arms overhead, locking out the elbows.
- Lower the dumbbells back down to shoulder height with control.
- Repeat the movement for the desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make the exercise easier, use lighter dumbbells or reduce the range of motion by not pressing the dumbbells all the way overhead.
How to increase difficulty: To make the exercise more challenging, use heavier dumbbells or perform the exercise at a slower tempo.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-12 reps
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 15-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Shoulders, Triceps, Upper back