May 4th, 2023 8:52 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell chest press is a strength-training exercise that targets the chest muscles, specifically the pectoralis major and minor.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Chest stretch
- Shoulder stretch
- Triceps stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio such as walking, cycling, or jogging to increase heart rate and blood flow
- Dynamic stretches such as arm circles, jumping jacks, or walking lunges
How to select the proper weight:
Choose a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form and technique. Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you become stronger and more comfortable with the exercise.
- Lie on a flat bench with your feet firmly planted on the ground.
- Hold the dumbbells with your palms facing forward and elbows bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Inhale and push the dumbbells up, extending your arms above your chest.
- Exhale and slowly lower the dumbbells back down to the starting position, keeping your elbows at a 90-degree angle.
- Repeat for desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Use lighter weights
- Decrease the number of reps
- Perform the exercise on an incline bench to decrease the range of motion
How to increase difficulty:
- Use heavier weights
- Increase the number of reps
- Perform the exercise on a decline bench to increase the range of motion
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-12 reps
- Intermediate: 10-15 reps
- Advanced: 12-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Secondary:Deltoids (Anterior), Triceps Brachii