Bent over row
May 5th, 2023 2:11 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell bent over row is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups in the back, shoulders, and arms. It is a great exercise for developing upper body strength and building a strong back.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-Cow stretch
- Standing hamstring stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or cycling
- Arm circles and shoulder rotations
- Bodyweight rows or band pull-aparts
How to select the proper weight: Start with a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form and control. As you become more comfortable with the exercise, gradually increase the weight.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Hinge forward at the hips, keeping your back straight and your core engaged.
- With your palms facing your body, pull the dumbbells up towards your chest, leading with your elbows.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
- Lower the dumbbells back down to the starting position with control.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform the exercise with bodyweight or lighter weights.
- Reduce the number of repetitions or sets.
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight being lifted.
- Perform the exercise with one arm at a time.
- Increase the number of repetitions or sets.
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-10 reps Intermediate: 10-12 reps Advanced: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Biceps, Lower back, Middle back, Triceps, Upper back
Secondary:Rhomboids, Biceps Brachii