May 10th, 2023 8:48 AM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
The supine piriformis stretch is a stretch that targets the piriformis muscle, which is located deep in the buttock area.
- Lie on your back with both knees bent and your feet flat on the ground.
- Cross your right ankle over your left knee, creating a figure-four shape with your legs.
- Use your hands to gently pull your left knee towards your chest.
- Keep your head and shoulders relaxed on the ground.
- Hold for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
How to reduce difficulty: If you have trouble reaching your knee, you can use a yoga strap or towel to loop around your left thigh and hold onto the ends.
How to increase difficulty: You can increase the intensity of the stretch by pressing your right elbow against your right knee, gently pushing your knee away from your body while pulling your left knee towards your chest.
Number of reps: Beginner: 2 sets of 30 seconds per leg Intermediate: 3 sets of 45 seconds per leg Advanced: 4 sets of 60 seconds per leg
Estimated time for exercise: 2-3 minutes