May 11th, 2023 5:05 PM Mr. Q Categories: Stretching
The standing overhead lunge stretch is a dynamic stretch that targets the legs, hips, and shoulders. This stretch involves a lunge position with one arm reaching overhead, which lengthens and stretches the entire body.
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step your left foot back into a lunge position, making sure your right knee is bent at a 90-degree angle and your left leg is straight.
- Reach your left arm overhead, keeping your bicep close to your ear and your palm facing inwards.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, feeling the stretch in your left hip flexor, quadriceps, and shoulders.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the stretch on the other side.
How to Reduce Difficulty: To reduce difficulty, perform the lunge with a smaller range of motion or without reaching overhead.
How to Increase Difficulty: To increase difficulty, hold the stretch for a longer duration or add a weight in the hand that is reaching overhead.
Reps: Beginner: 5 reps per side Intermediate: 8 reps per side Advanced: 10 reps per side
Estimated Time for Exercise: 1-2 minutes
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps, Shoulders
Secondary:Hamstrings, Glutes, Deltoids, Rectus Abdominis