May 6th, 2023 12:25 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The Turkish Get-Up is a full-body exercise that involves lifting a weight from a lying position to a standing position and back down again while keeping the weight stable overhead. This exercise works on strength, stability, and mobility.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Hip flexor stretch
- Shoulder stretch
- Wrist stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- Arm circles
- Bodyweight squats
How to select the proper weight: Start with a light weight to master the movement and then gradually increase the weight as you become more comfortable with the exercise.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Hold the dumbbell with your right hand and extend your right arm straight up.
- Roll onto your left side and prop yourself up on your left forearm.
- Push yourself up with your left arm while extending your right leg and keeping the dumbbell straight above your shoulder.
- Bring your left leg under your body and stand up while keeping the dumbbell overhead.
- Reverse the steps to return to the starting position.
How to reduce the difficulty: To reduce the difficulty, use a lighter weight or remove the weight altogether and perform the exercise with just your bodyweight.
How to increase difficulty: To increase the difficulty, use a heavier weight or perform the exercise for more reps or sets.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 3-5 reps per side
- Intermediate: 6-8 reps per side
- Advanced: 10 reps per side
Estimated time for exercise: 1 set of 10 reps per side would take around 10-15 minutes.
Body Group:Full Body
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Hamstring, Quadriceps, Shoulders
Secondary:Rectus abdominis, Obliques