Standing side bends
May 2nd, 2023 5:31 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell standing side bend is an exercise that targets the obliques (side abs) and helps improve core stability.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Side torso stretch
- Standing quadriceps stretch
- Shoulder stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or cycling
- 2-3 sets of 10 reps of bodyweight side bends and torso twists
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form while still challenging your muscles. Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you become more comfortable with the exercise.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in one hand.
- Keep your back straight and your core engaged as you bend to the side, lowering the dumbbell towards your knee.
- Pause at the bottom of the movement, and then return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps, and then switch sides.
How to reduce difficulty:
- Use a lighter weight dumbbell
- Decrease the range of motion by not bending as far to the side
How to increase difficulty:
- Use a heavier weight dumbbell
- Increase the range of motion by bending further to the side
- Add a pause or hold at the bottom of the movement
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps per side
- Intermediate: 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps per side
- Advanced: 4-5 sets of 12-15 reps per side
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Side Abs