Side Plank Raise
May 5th, 2023 7:39 AM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell side plank raise is a variation of the traditional side plank exercise that adds an additional challenge to the oblique muscles of the core.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Side body stretch
- Tricep stretch
- Quad stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of cardio (e.g. jogging, jumping jacks, etc.)
- Dynamic stretches for the core (e.g. leg swings, torso twists, etc.)
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that is challenging but allows you to maintain proper form for all reps. It is recommended to start with lighter weights and increase as you progress.
- Begin in a side plank position with your elbow directly beneath your shoulder and your legs straight.
- Hold a dumbbell in your top hand and place it on your hip.
- Slowly raise the dumbbell up towards the ceiling while keeping your body in a straight line.
- Pause for a moment at the top of the movement, then slowly lower the dumbbell back to your hip.
- Complete all reps on one side before switching to the other side.
How to reduce the difficulty: Perform the exercise without a dumbbell or lower the weight of the dumbbell.
How to increase the difficulty: Increase the weight of the dumbbell or hold the top position for a longer period of time.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps per side
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps per side
- Advanced: 18-20 reps per side
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Shoulders