May 5th, 2023 4:37 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell Romanian deadlift is a weightlifting exercise that targets the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back muscles. It is performed by holding dumbbells in each hand with an overhand grip and hinging at the hips to lower the weights towards the ground while keeping a slight bend in the knees.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Hamstring stretch
- Glute stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or cycling
- Bodyweight deadlifts
- Glute bridges
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that is challenging but still allows you to maintain proper form throughout the exercise. It is recommended to start with lighter weights and gradually increase as you get stronger.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells in each hand with an overhand grip.
- Engage your core and keep your shoulders pulled back and down.
- Hinge at the hips, pushing your glutes back and keeping a slight bend in your knees.
- Lower the dumbbells towards the ground while keeping your back flat and your gaze forward.
- Pause at the bottom of the movement, then lift the weights back up to standing position using your glutes and hamstrings.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform the exercise with lighter weights
- Decrease the range of motion
- Perform the exercise with bodyweight only
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbells
- Perform the exercise on a deficit, standing on an elevated surface
- Perform the exercise with a single leg
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-10 reps Intermediate: 10-12 reps Advance: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Hamstring, Upper back
Secondary:Gluteus Maximus, Erector Spinae