Pickup & Swing
May 5th, 2023 1:53 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell pickup & swing (AKA: pick up & twist) is a compound exercise that targets the legs, core, and upper body. It involves picking up a dumbbell from the floor and twisting the torso while standing.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Forward fold stretch
- Standing hamstring stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging in place or jumping jacks
- 10-15 reps of bodyweight squats
How to select the proper weight: Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase as you become comfortable with the movement. The weight should be challenging but still allow you to maintain proper form.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in one hand.
- Squat down, keeping your back straight and your chest up, and place the dumbbell on the floor.
- Grab the dumbbell with your other hand and lift it up to waist height, twisting your torso as you do so.
- Lower the dumbbell back to the floor, and repeat for the desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make this exercise easier, use a lighter weight or omit the twisting motion.
How to increase the difficulty: To make this exercise harder, use a heavier weight or add a jump or hop at the end of the movement.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-12 reps
- Intermediate: 12-15 reps
- Advanced: 15-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Quadriceps, Shoulders
Primary:Deltoids, Quadriceps, Rectus Abdominis