Overhead sit up
May 5th, 2023 2:58 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
Dumbbell overhead sit up is an exercise that primarily targets the abs, but also engages the shoulders and chest muscles. This exercise involves lying on your back with a dumbbell held overhead and then sitting up while keeping the dumbbell in the same position.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-Cow Stretch
- Standing Side Stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of cardiovascular exercise such as jumping jacks, jogging, or cycling
How to select the proper weight: Select a dumbbell weight that you can comfortably hold overhead while lying on your back and performing the exercise. You can start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you become stronger and more comfortable with the exercise.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Hold a dumbbell with both hands and extend your arms straight overhead.
- Keeping your arms straight, engage your core and slowly lift your upper body off the ground until you are in a seated position.
- Slowly lower yourself back down to the starting position with control.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
How to reduce the difficulty: To reduce the difficulty of the exercise, you can perform the sit-up without holding a dumbbell or with a lighter weight.
How to increase the difficulty: To increase the difficulty of the exercise, you can hold a heavier dumbbell or perform the exercise on an incline bench.
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-10 reps Intermediate: 10-12 reps Advanced: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: This exercise should take around 5-10 minutes to complete depending on the number of reps and sets performed.
Body Group:Abs (Core)