May 5th, 2023 2:37 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell lunge press is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups including the legs, glutes, shoulders, and core. It involves performing a lunge while simultaneously pressing dumbbells overhead.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Hip flexor stretch
- Quadriceps stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio such as jogging or jumping jacks
- Bodyweight lunges to activate the muscles
How to select the proper weight: Start with light weights and gradually increase as you get comfortable with the movement. Choose a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form and technique.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height.
- Step forward with one leg and lower your body into a lunge position.
- As you lower your body, simultaneously press the dumbbells overhead until your arms are fully extended.
- Return to the starting position by bringing your back leg forward and lowering the dumbbells back to shoulder height.
- Repeat with the other leg.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform the exercise without weights
- Perform the exercise with light weights
- Reduce the range of motion by not lowering the back knee as far down
How to increase the difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbells
- Increase the range of motion by lowering the back knee further down
- Perform the exercise explosively with a jump at the end of each lunge
Number of reps: Beginner: 8-10 reps Intermediate: 12-15 reps Advanced: 16-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Calves, Gluteus, Quadriceps, Shoulders