May 5th, 2023 1:41 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell lunge is a lower body exercise that primarily targets the quads, glutes, and hamstrings.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Hip flexor stretch
- Standing quad stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of cardio, such as walking, jogging, or cycling
- Bodyweight lunges or squats
How to select the proper weight:
Choose a weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form for the desired number of reps.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at your sides.
- Step forward with one foot and lower your body until your front thigh is parallel to the floor, making sure your knee does not extend past your toes.
- Pause for a moment and then push back up to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
How to reduce the difficulty:
- Perform bodyweight lunges instead of using dumbbells
- Shorten the range of motion by not lowering your body as far down
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the weight of the dumbbells
- Add an explosive jump at the end of each lunge
- Perform walking lunges or reverse lunges instead of stationary lunges
Number of reps:
Beginner: 8-12 reps Intermediate: 12-15 reps Advanced: 15-20 reps
Estimated time for exercise:
1-2 sets of 8-20 reps per leg should take approximately 5-10 minutes.
Muscle Group(s):Gluteus, Hamstring, Quadriceps
Secondary:Hamstrings, Gluteus Maximus