Get up sit up
May 5th, 2023 5:07 PM Mr. Q Categories: Dumbbell
The dumbbell get up sit up is a compound exercise that targets the core (abs) and hip flexors.
Stretch to do prior to exercise:
- Cat-Cow stretch
- Cobra stretch
- Hip flexor stretch
Warmup to do prior to exercise:
- 5-10 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or jumping jacks
- Bodyweight squats
How to select the proper weight: Choose a weight that allows you to complete the exercise with proper form, but still challenges you. It’s recommended to start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you get stronger.
- Lie down on your back with a dumbbell held with both hands, arms extended overhead.
- Sit up while keeping the dumbbell overhead and bring your left leg up to a 90-degree angle.
- Plant your left foot on the ground and bring your right knee up to a 90-degree angle, with your right foot flat on the ground.
- Use your core and hip flexors to lift your torso off the ground and come to a standing position, with the dumbbell still overhead.
- Reverse the movement, lowering your body back to the starting position.
How to reduce the difficulty: To make the exercise easier, you can perform it without weights or use a lighter weight. You can also perform the exercise without coming to a full standing position and instead only come up to a seated position.
How to increase the difficulty: To make the exercise more challenging, you can use a heavier weight or perform the exercise with one arm instead of two. You can also add a twist at the top of the movement to engage your obliques.
Number of reps:
- Beginner: 8-10 reps
- Intermediate: 10-12 reps
- Advanced: 12-15 reps
Estimated time for exercise: 10-15 minutes
Body Group:Abs (Core)
Muscle Group(s):Abdominals, Hip