May 13th, 2023 2:56 PM Mr. Q Categories: Body Weight
High knees is a cardiovascular exercise that works on the lower body and helps to improve coordination, balance, and endurance.
Stretch: Quad stretch, hamstring stretch
- 5-10 minutes of light jogging in place
- Jumping jacks
- Butt kicks
- Leg swings
How to select the proper weight: High knees is a bodyweight exercise that does not require any weights.
- Begin by standing tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- Drive your right knee up towards your chest as high as you can.
- Lower your right leg back down to the starting position and immediately repeat with your left leg.
- Continue alternating legs, lifting your knees as high as possible while keeping your core engaged.
- Move at a steady and controlled pace.
How to reduce the difficulty: You can reduce the difficulty of high knees by slowing down the movement and focusing on proper form. You can also perform the exercise at a slower pace or perform the exercise with shorter intervals.
How to increase difficulty:
- Increase the speed of the exercise
- Add ankle weights or resistance bands
- Perform the exercise while holding light dumbbells
Reps: Beginner: 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat for 3 sets Intermediate: 45 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat for 4 sets Advanced: 60 seconds, rest 20 seconds, repeat for 5 sets
Estimated time for exercise: 5-10 minutes
Muscle Group(s):Hip, Quadriceps